Alo!

Tocmai te-ai înscris pe forum? Fă bine şi dă cu bună-ziua aici, că politeţea-i mama motociclismului!

Topic author
Hoj
LVL 2
LVL 2
Zodiac:

Alo!

Unread post by Hoj »

Alo, Îmi pare bine de cunoștință.

Sînt britanic, nu vorbesc bine românește, vorbește cineva aici engleză?

Vehicolul meu pe pernă de aer e plin cu țipari. Sînt alergic la Adrian.

La revedere. ;)

<3

AdrianS
Administrator
Administrator
Zodiac:

Re: Alo!

Unread post by AdrianS »

Don't you just hate it when you get eels on your hovercraft? Happens to me all the time. I suggest you get a bucket and fish 'em out, Hoj! Heard they make good tea dumplings. :P

And welcome to our humble phpBB-powered choo-choo!

Topic author
Hoj
LVL 2
LVL 2
Zodiac:

Unread post by Hoj »

What a fine forum this is. It's a nice idea to just have the entire website as the forum, rather than having some horrible, nasty looking website.

AdrianS
Administrator
Administrator
Zodiac:

Unread post by AdrianS »

Thank you, Hoj! Means a lot coming from you. :)

Believe me, this place has been a Joomla website up until about three weeks ago. Figured some extra content besides the forum would be wonderful. Bad decision, at least for me. I intended it to be quite versatile and complete with all manner of gadgets that Joomla plugins could provide, yet it turned out that it was rather poor in both loading speed and pagination. Mobile device users had a hard time loading and reading anything on it. The Kunena forum designed for Joomla was not that shiny a piece of work and was merely ok. Probably even drove some people off or made them reluctant to post for some time.

In other words, for all the hype around its status as "free" software, Joomla seems ok only if you're willing to spend a decent amount of coin optimising your site, buying full versions of various plugins and generally have someone fit everything together.

PhpBB seems to do the job neatly, since most of the activity was on the forum anyway. Besides, a couple of plugins built for phpBB seem to make up for any special needs that might arise. Like the classifieds section or the blog-articles section. And the forum itself is a tried and tested piece of software (if generally horrible with plugins), no need to go complicated if simple does the job.

What we do lack is - as a fellow member put it - an USP, something to really make the place shine. A definite identity of our own, if you will. Still have to sort that out.

Topic author
Hoj
LVL 2
LVL 2
Zodiac:

Unread post by Hoj »

I've never done that much with Joomla, I always choose to use WordPress. You can do anything with these CMSs if you know enough PHP, but it's time consuming, so I often use the plugins too (and I've paid for a few premium versions). A website on the front isn't really necessary, as we've seen with m2k, but I've seen some nice communities where the forum is really well integrated with the website (Cubed3 for example). So you don't feel like the forum is separate.

A USP? I don't know. You could come up with something entirely new, like, the first Romanian/English hybrid forum? XD

AdrianS
Administrator
Administrator
Zodiac:

Unread post by AdrianS »

I also weighed the possibility of merging WordPress with phpBB. There's this tool called WP-United that does just that, and they have a rather convincing gallery of websites to prove it. Upon loading any of those websites however, I get the feeling that the pages are just bogged down by the load.

So while it's an appealing option to have a great forum software integrated into a great CMS package, I guess one ultimately has to choose between flashy website design and page loading times. For the time being, I chose the latter. :)

I would, however, do something about glittering this default theme.